Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Cooking Tip On Rice

                                                                                                           Image Source
Ah, rice. 

Rice is in so many dishes and a great side to many meals. But for the past few months (ok, years) I have SUCKED at cooking it. My rice is always soggy or sticking to the pan. Maybe because I too often follow package directions. I have fiddled with my rice making recipes and haven't come up with anything good. I am a little intimidated by it cause I never know how it will turn out. Rice something I definitely don't make for dinner if we have company coming over.

Want your rice to look like this!?! I do!
 
So fluffy and nice!

Yesterday, I found out there is a such thing as the "pasta method" for cooking your rice. It's very easy! I didn't take a picture, but my rice turned out like the picture above. (If not better, ha) I am just a LITTLE excited about this!

This is what I did:
-Put a big pot of water on the stove and set to boil. I used my soup pot and filled it a little under halfway, so that's probably around 8 cups of water.
-Once the water is boiling, just pour 1/2 cup of white rice into the pot. 
-Let it cook, uncovered, for 13 minutes 
-Drain well
-(If you are anything like me) You now have the nicest looking rice you've ever made, ready to enjoy for dinner!

That's it! I know, I was freaked out to do it. I am more of a fan of brown rice than white. I don't know how long it would take to cook the brown, but I'm going to be doing some experimenting in the kitchen and let you know. 









No comments: