Saturday, August 28, 2010

More Food!

Yes! More food and recipes to share! It's cooled off a bit so I can turn on the oven without making the kitchen over 85 degrees! And being pregnant, I suddenly have a lot more patience to actually go through with making things cause I soooo look forward to the end result!

Salsa

2-99 oz. cans whole, peeled tomatoes
1-16 oz. can tomato sauce
8 medium onions
12-20 jalapenos
1/2 C. sugar
4 oz. cider vinegar
4 tsp. canning salt

Dice and combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. Put in jars. Makes about 2 gallons.

I used this as a base recipe and changed a few things. I used a grocery bag of tomatoes (how much that is, I don't know.. 5-6 lbs?) no tomato sauce, and 6 jalepenos with seeds. I added 3 Tbsp. cilantro, 2 tsp. lime juice, and 1 Tbsp garlic. I pretty much just threw in there what sounded good, and taste tested as I went.

I used the boil method and really like how it turned out. I used these 3 smaller pumpkins and it made a one quart jar of puree. I did learn though, that you have to freeze puree or keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days, just canning it supposedly doesn't keep it like it should.

These were made immediately after the puree, they sounded so good! (minus the raisins, cause I can't stand them) They didn't taste to 'healthy' either, I was kinda nervous for that. I will be making these again once this batch is gone... which may be sooner than later.

Other than food, there has been a lot on my mind lately. I don't know why, but suddenly I feel like the baby is coming tomorrow and not in 14 weeks. There's so much I have to get done! We haven't really touched the nursery. There is only a dresser/changer in there and 2 massive deer heads, which of course the heads are not staying in there. They are just in there to get out of the living room.... and will hopefully move to the office soon. Casey can't wait for bow season, so he can get another monster buck on the wall. Which is fine I guess, I just don't want to be greeted by them when I walk in the front door, or have them hanging over our poor babies crib. Oh no no!
Anyways... We did recently get a crib for the nursery from Grandma Kathy! We've had it for a couple days. I honestly almost cried when I wanted to put it together immediately and Casey said no, cause it was quarter after 8 at night, we had just got home and hadn't eaten yet. (he was right and being rational) It was still in the box until this morning... I am forcing myself to wait until Casey's day off tomorrow to put it up WITH him. I wouldn't be able to get all the bolts and screws as tight as he would ... at least that's what I'm telling myself so I don't do it today. So in the next while I will have the giant deer heads moved out of there and the crib up! Would love to share pictures of everything as it gets done!!!

No comments: