Saturday, November 13, 2010

"Sgt. E." Bars

So many memories come back when I make these! They were a regular in school lunches, and a favorite snack growing up.

There was a name change to the bars when I was in high school. My older brothers recruiter Sgt. E. ended up being a close friend to the family, at school one day he was offered a bar from one of us, and from that day on he would HOUND us for his favorite "cookie". There was never really a name for these before that, so in honor of his love for these, we changed the name :)

RECIPE
1 cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups rolled oats

Fudge Nut Filling
1-12 oz. package chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped nuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir in rolled oats. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Set aside while you make filling.
In saucepan over boiling water mix together chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and salt. Stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in nuts and vanilla extract.
Spread about 2/3 of oatmeal mixture on cookie sheet. Cover with chocolate mixture. Dot with remaining oatmeal mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.

ENJOY! Cut up into desired bar sizes and store in freezer. Cause that's where I put everything. I even prefer to eat these frozen. But eat as you like! These are awesome!!!!

2 comments:

Lindy said...

Hey Tara...I just now seen that you have a blog...I will start to follow. Cute baby room and I am printing that receipe for those bars if I can figure out how to. Can't wait to hear the baby news and see what you have...I am going to guess BOY!

the Kohrs said...

Tara I am figuring out what to make for church tonight & I thought oh Sgt. E Bars! but I just didn't have the recipe... so here I am printing the recipe from your blog! Thank You for being my 'go to'! I'll post comments later of how I liked it so much and changed 20 different things! You put allrecipes.com to shame!