Monday, May 2, 2011

It's Raining... We're eating!

Food.

It's a necessary part of our day. So why don't we make it healthy and enjoy it?!

I know that things I put on here wouldn't be categorized as "healthy" in many people's eyes. Or even mine all the time. But if it's homemade, from scratch, REAL ingredients, it's healthy to me. Whole milk anyone? Real butter? Sour cream? Cream cheese? Making cookies, brownies etc. from scratch? Making your own mashed potatoes even?

I do indulge in the plastic container meal, or from the box... Duh, you need backup. Ooo and chinese take out!

So, eat this super quick and easy healthy food!

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- asparagus
- bacon
- toothpicks
In a deep skillet, put about 1/2 inch water, or enough to just cover asparagus. Cut the hard ends off of asparagus and put in pan. Let heat up in water just until fork tender. You don't want it to go longer than this. Empty pan of water, put back on stove for next step. Once asparagus is cool enough to handle, wrap a strip of bacon around two pieces of asparagus. Secure with toothpick on each end. Fry the bacon wrapped asparagus in pan until bacon is cooked.

Recipe credits to my sister Laura, except for the toothpicks part :)
We have eaten this 3 times in the past week or so and I am not sick of it yet!

Josey has been getting in on the eating action to!
How dare I stop feeding her to take a picture

Sweet potatoes and carrots are awesome!

By the way... This toy suctioned to her tray is awesome! It's a great distraction while I'm getting the next bite! If I would have known it makes noise every time it spins I wouldn't have gotten it, but of course Josey loves the noise. 

We had a good weekend. Looked at a house in town to rent and fell in love with it.

We are moving. 

Yay! The house we live in has charm.... but charm faded when we got our first months utility bill. Charm especially faded throughout the winter with bills that made me cringe, all the while still freezing my butt off. Every time the wind blows the curtains move. 

I am so excited to decorate and get all settled in a new home. The next house has TWO bathrooms! One connected to the master! Sweet! There is a dishwasher too! LAAA! We haven't had one yet, and this makes me very happy. I am excited to be in town close to the river, playgrounds, stores. It would be a long walk to the store, but worth saving on fuel these days! The lot that the house is on is very big. We are at the end of 2 roads, which created a loop around the house, so we have no neighbors touching our yard. I'm excited about that! So I'm going to get the ball rolling on everything it takes to move. Can't wait to be done and enjoying some central AC this summer!




3 comments:

Laura said...

Tara, Josey is so adorbale! Sweet potatoes were always Audreys baby food too!
& I had to write to say that all because of you guys we still make bacon wrapped asparagus alot when we BBQ & have gotten lots of our friends addicted to it too! We were just talking the other day about you guys and the BBQs we used to have, when you got the smoker in particular.
We miss you guys! Hope all is well, Yay! for moving! Hope you LOVE your new house! :)

~Laura

Unknown said...

I miss our BBQ days! This is a winterized version of the BBQ style.. I wanted it so bad and couldn't wait for it to stop raining! I can't wait to move and get all set up in the next house! I'm already packing! Give Audrey a little kiss for me!

the Kohrs said...

Tara! I am so excited for you guys! I do love me some good bacon wrapped asparagus:) no critiques on anything wrapped in bacon!