Monday, July 11, 2011

Maid Rite Sandwiches


Never heard of these places until I moved to Central Illinois. I guess this is a Midwest thing? To be honest the first time I saw one I thought it was a cleaning service or a household appliance store. 


It's hard to find an appetizing picture of this... Just ground beef on a hamburger bun, and I topped it with ketchup and mustard.  And no, it's not sloppy joe-ish either.

My whole life just plain ground beef browned like this was the beginning of taco meat, chili, or a casserole. So I didn't want to try a Maid Rite sandwich for a long time. 

What made me break was the overflowing amount of venison in our deep freeze. By the way if you are local and would like to work something out, I would love to get rid of some deer burger and deer sausage!!

Got a recipe idea from my mother-in-law, this is what I did.

Venison Maid Rite's 
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. deer burger
2 beef bouillon 
1/4 cup water
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
Brown everything together in a skillet over med-high heat. Let simmer until water dissipates. Put burger on some nice warm hamburger buns with desired toppings.  

So simple.. kind of a DUH recipe. 

I guess I'm sharing cause I was surprised that I liked the sandwich. It's an AWESOME way to get rid of deer burger, and a super easy dinner to make for the kiddo's. Yum Yum! Gets a few stars in my book :)


2 comments:

Aunt Bunnie said...

No ketchup!!! That completely ruins a Maid Rite! Mustard, pickle and onion! And Quincy is the only place that has the best one! The other ones are wannabes!

Unknown said...

I'll try that next time! I'm pretty new to the whole thing... We'll have to find time at the next family get together to go to the REAL place in Quincy!!